Background Check Policy
Purpose and Scope
American College of Education requires applicants to a program leading to certification successfully complete and pass a criminal background check prior to being evaluated for admission. By requiring a background check, ACE can confidently refer students to schools to complete their student teaching which will continue to increase schools’ trust in ACE. In addition, by successfully passing a background check for admittance, helps improve the applicant’s likelihood of being able to obtain a certificate from the state upon successful completion of the program.
Statement of the Subject of the Policy
American College of Education requires applicants to a program leading to certification The purpose of a background check is to ensure applicants have not engaged in any behavior deemed unsafe for working with children. The background check applies to all applicants pursuing a program leading to certification. Admission to the program may depend on the results of this check.
- Applicants to the programs requiring background checks must complete the background check through ACE’s approved provider.
- An applicant’s application will not be considered complete until a background check has been completed.
- Applicants are responsible for the fees required to complete the background check.
- ACE is unable to accept background checks completed by other providers.
- Before a copy of the background check can be sent to a school for student teaching, the student must sign a release stating ACE can send in the results.
Background Check Results
- If a candidate has been convicted of any of the felonies listed in IC 20-28-5-8(c), the applicant will not be admitted.
- Denial of admissions may result from other convictions showing a pattern of poor judgment or unprofessional behavior. Behaviors evidencing incompetence or neglect of duty may not specifically be described as criminal, however; they may cause an applicant to be denied admission into the program.
- If a candidate does not pass the criminal background check – a copy of the results will be sent to the applicant along with a copy of consumer rights.
- If a candidate believes their criminal background check is incorrect, once it is corrected, he/she can request another background check be submitted to ACE for review.