Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions FAQ

What are the academic requirements for admission?

Most graduate programs at ACE require minimum GPA of 2.75 from a regionally accredited institution, but there are differences among programs. Also, some programs permit provisional admissions (for lower GPA, for example) and some don't. Just to underscore the differences, some programs require that the applicant hold a teaching certificate--but not all. The best approach is to read about each program in the Catalog or Addendum.

Can I take two courses in one term? How do I go about setting this up?

Multiple course requests, or double-ups, are granted only under extraordinary circumstances, such as a verified impending promotion opportunity, and taking two courses in a single term does not always lead to a quicker graduation date due to the course rotation at ACE. If you believe you have an extraordinary circumstance, you can submit a Multiple Course Request Form. The form will be sent to the Department Chair for review.

How do I obtain confirmation of transfer credit being received and accepted into my record?

When your transfer credit has been evaluated, the Transfer Credit Evaluator will notify you via email with the decision. Please allow at least two weeks for your request to be evaluated. If transfer credit is granted, the credit will be posted to your account in the MyACE Portal within one week from the time you are notified of the decision. Transfer credit requests must be made in a specific window of time; consult Student Support ( for information or look for more information in the New Student Orientation (online course available before your first term).

How much are fees?

We take pride in making costs transparent to students. To see costs for each program, click on the tuition tab near the bottom of each program web page in the Academics section. The common fees are for application, payment processing (for students paying on an installment plan), technology and degree conferral. The Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs have additional fees such as Dissertation Fee and some additional costs, such as attending a face-to-face seminar. You may also refer to the Tuition and Fees page on our website for more detailed information.

How long are the courses and the program?

Our programs vary in length, and the number of courses may also vary.  With continuous enrollment, you may earn a master's degree in 18 months. Most courses follow a five-week schedule. Please refer to the Academic tab on our website for more detailed, program-specific information. The Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs run on 10-week terms after the 5-week Introductory course.

Can a course be cancelled?

American College of Education reserves the right to cancel any course. All tuition and fees paid for such a course will be refunded or applied to the following term. Also, the right to set maximum limits on the number of students allowed to enroll in any particular course or section is reserved.

How do I obtain transfer credits from another institution? How many credits may I transfer?

Transfer credit requests must be made through the online Transfer Credit Form. Please review the Transfer Credit Evaluation Criteria document found at the link above for the requirements a course must meet for transfer credit eligibility. Transfer credit requests must be submitted by the end of the first week of your first course at ACE.

Professional Licensure, Endorsement or Certification FAQ

States use a variety of terms pertaining to earning credentials that allow individuals to work in various fields. This is especially true in the field of education. Some states issue licenses, others endorsements, and some, certifications. Some states offer a combination of the above. For the purposes of the questions below, we will use the term “license” to cover all types of professional credentials.

May I obtain my license from ACE?

Professional licensure in the field of education is granted by a state licensing agency (often the Department of Education), not by an institution. ACE provides education; states issue licenses.

When should I seek information regarding professional licensure?

Be sure that you understand the licensure requirements in your state prior to enrolling in a degree program. Most educators working in P-12 schools are required to have a license, although the same may not be required in some private, parochial or charter schools.

Can ACE tell me whether I will qualify for licensure in my state?

American College of Education strives to have the most up-to-date information on professional licensure in all states. However, due to the complexities of licensure and the frequent changes in regulations and requirements, the most accurate sources of information are the state licensing boards. All licensure-track programs at ACE are approved by the Indiana Department of Education, but as with many states, there are additional requirements a candidate must meet outside of the educational program requirements in order to qualify for licensure in Indiana. Therefore, ACE will provide you with state licensing board website resources to help you begin your research. You will want to refer to your state licensing website periodically throughout your program to determine if licensure requirements have changed and if the changes impact you.

What are some things I need to research with my state licensing board?

Here are a few ideas for you to consider:

  • You will want to see what types of licenses your state issues. You may see terms like “provisional,” “temporary,” “full,” etc. The type of your current teaching license may determine if you can obtain an administrative license. Or, it will help you know which type of teaching license you may obtain by transferring an Indiana initial teaching license after completion of the Transition to Teaching or Master of Arts in Teaching programs.
  • Should you desire to become a school administrator, you will also want to determine whether you need a specific number of years of teaching experience, and what type of teaching license you need in order to obtain an administrative license.
  • Some states offer alternative paths to administrative licenses. Research the requirements to determine whether an alternative path is a good option for you.
  • Confirm whether or not the ACE program in which you are interested meets the licensure requirements in your state. Pay attention to statements like, “must have graduated from a regionally-accredited institution,” or “must have graduated from a state-approved program.”

What are common licensure requirements?

Every state has different licensing requirements. However, common requirements include earning a degree that includes specific coursework, background checks and fingerprints, field experiences like internship or student teaching, or state qualifying exams – sometimes more than one. It is important for you to know your specific state licensure requirements.

Does the ACE program need to be approved by my state licensing board before I can become licensed?

That depends on the state. Some states recognize a degree from an out-of-state institution. Other states require that the program be approved by a state licensing board. Still other states require that the program be approved by that state. All licensure-track programs offered at ACE are approved by the Indiana Department of Education. The Educational Leadership program is also approved in Ohio, Florida, and Texas.

Does the approval of the Educational Leadership program in Indiana, Florida, Ohio and Texas mean there is reciprocity with my state?

“Reciprocity” is a term that is frequently misused and/or misunderstood. So, rather than use that term, the response to the above question is as follows:

If you reside in a state other than Indiana, Florida, Ohio, or Texas, you are considered an out-of-state graduate. Many states will accept these program approvals or a license from another state, but additional requirements may have to be fulfilled, such as a course in the state constitution, CPR training, etc. This is why it is imperative that you be well versed in your own state’s licensure requirements.

If I cannot find the information I am looking for on my state’s licensing website, what should I do?

Always contact your state licensing board. The staff members in the licensing office are charged with knowing the state regulations and are there to help individuals like you understand what is needed in order to obtain and maintain your license.

What should I do when calling my state licensing office?

Before calling your state licensing office, read your state's licensing requirements and jot down your questions. Record the name and phone number of the person with whom you speak, along with the date and time of your conversation. Make notes of the questions you ask and the responses you receive. Compare the information you are given with the information you found on the website or in the regulations. Request for the licensing office to send a written confirmation email, reiterating your conversation.

Will ACE verify with my state’s licensing board that I have completed the program?


Student Support FAQ

How do I order a transcript to be sent to my employer?

To request a transcript, please fill out the Transcript Request Service form found here. Please note, however, that official transcripts cannot be sent if you have an outstanding balance or hold on your account.

I am having difficulty getting a call back. What should I do?

It can be helpful for you to email as well as leaving a voicemail message.  Below is a list of departments and their respective email addresses. If you have not heard back from someone within 24 hours of sending an email, please contact our Office of Academic Excellence at
Enrollment Services: or 1-800-280-0307
Student Support: or 1-800-280-0307, option 1
Registration and Records:
Office of the Bursar: or 1-800-280-0307, option 3
Office of Field Experiences:

What do I do if I cannot access readings?

Your first point of contact should be your professor. You will want to ensure that the reading has, in fact, been made available and to alert the professor that there may be an issue.

What do I do if I am enrolled in the wrong course?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar at

What do I do if I cannot access a course?

If you have enrolled within a day of the deadline, you may experience as much as a 24- hour delay in accessing your course.  If the delay is longer than this, please alert us at or by calling 1-800-280-0307.

Payment FAQ

Can I make alternative payment arrangements?

Course costs must be paid in full prior to the start of class; otherwise access to online coursework will be denied and you may be administratively withdrawn. Please visit the payment page for information on acceptable payment options.

How do I pay my bills?

Payment is due five calendar days prior to the course start date via the following methods.

    1. Method 1: Credit Card

      Payments by credit card can be made online in your MyACE student portal account. From the ACE homepage, click on the "Student Access" along the top of the screen, then click on the "My Account". You will be asked for your username and password, which was created when you filled out your College application (if you have questions about your login information, email Once logged in, select the "My Finances" menu and the "Make Payment Online" link.

    2. Method 2: Checks or money orders made payable to American College of Education. When mailing your payment, please account for postal transit time, as we cannot use the postmark date as your date of payment.

      All checks or money orders should be mailed to:
      American College of Education
      P.O. Box 678564
      Dallas, TX 75267-8564

      Note: Overnight mail delivery is not available to P.O Box addresses.

      For overnight delivery, mail to:
      American College of Education
      Attention: Office of the Bursar
      600 N. Pearl St.
      Suite 800
      Dallas, TX 75201

      Late payments will be charged a late payment fee.

Whom do I contact if I have a hold on my record?

For financial holds, please contact the Bursar's Office at Note: Having a hold on your account will prevent you from receiving a transcript, diploma, or verification/certification for your state license (where applicable).

Can I use federal financial aid?

American College of Education does not accept federal financial aid at this time. While many of our students are able to pay as they go because of our affordable tuition, we understand that you may need to seek a private loan. Please check with your financial institution to determine loan availability and eligibility.

What if I have a financial question that is not answered here?

Please contact the Bursar's Office at

Graduation FAQ

When will I receive my diploma?

You will receive a diploma cover at commencement, but your diploma will not be included. A diploma takes up to 12 weeks to process and deliver from the date when the degree is conferred. To ensure that you get your diploma, make sure your contact information is correct at MyACE Student Portal. Diplomas will not be issued if there is a balance or hold on your account.

When will I receive a copy of my official transcript?

Upon graduation, you will receive one complimentary copy of your official transcript with a watermark indicating that it has been Issued to Student. This will be sent to you electronically via Transcripts on Demand at the primary email address you have on file with ACE within two weeks of the date upon which your degree is conferred. For an official transcript without the Issued to Student watermark to be sent to another institution, you will need to place a separate order through Transcripts on Demand. No official transcripts will be issued if there is a balance or hold on your account.

Where can I find commencement participation information?

Information about commencement is sent to eligible candidates and graduates prior to graduation.

Whom do I contact for information on degree completion?

If you have any questions about your degree completion status or your grades, contact Student Support at or 1-800-280-0307.

When is commencement?

Commencement is a ceremony that celebrates graduation. ACE typically holds two commencement ceremonies each year, but that can change. Watch for commencement information on the Graduation and Commencement page of the website. Additional information about commencement is sent to eligible candidates and graduates prior to graduation.

How do I request an additional copy of my transcript?

Submit the Transcript Request Form. Transcripts will not be issued if you have a balance on your account.

How can I change my name on my diploma?

Diplomas will be ordered and printed for eligible students with the name listed on your current College record. For name changes, in accordance with FERPA regulations, American College of Education will require a Change of Student Information Form to be filled out and notarized for legal documentation, provided in order to update your record. Please note the rules below regarding name changes prior to making this request. Please submit a Change of Student Information Form. Notarized copies of acceptable legal documentation must be mailed to the College address listed on the form. A diploma may be ordered with a new name in expectation of a name change. If this is done, the diploma will not be delivered until an official Request for Name Change is provided to the Registrar's Office with supporting documentation. Any cost associated with the reprinting of a diploma caused by a name change will be charged to the graduate. If you have any questions, please contact or call 1-800-280-0307.

How long does it take to award my degree?

The degree conferral process after degree completion may take up to six weeks. If all academic and financial obligations have been met, you will receive a congratulatory email from the Registrar's Office.

When will I graduate?

The College has eight graduation dates per year (and typically two commencement ceremonies each year), so your degree conferral is scheduled around those dates. Once you have completed all coursework and internship or student teaching (where applicable), your degree will be conferred by the Registrar's Office, and you will receive a congratulatory email. If a single item is missing (e.g., review of your Capstone, or payment on your account), your degree will not be conferred. The College starts the degree conferral process early with a degree audit two terms before the end of your coursework. If you stay on track with scheduled courses and submit your Capstone in plenty of time for review, then the degree conferral is completed within six weeks after completion of all requirements. Keep in mind that diplomas take longer to arrive in the mail. Capstone reviews have a due date in Week 3 of the final course, which gives the faculty committees time to evaluate your portfolio. You will have control over when you submit your portfolio, and early submissions are allowed. You can plan with your Capstone Chair to meet the deadline. In the MyACE Student Portal you will see an Anticipated Graduation Date. This date is not your official graduation date; it may reflect a projected date when you began your program but it will be adjusted when the Registrar completes a degree audit and confers your degree.

How do I receive verification of program completion for certification or endorsement from my state?

In applying for a state certification or endorsement, you may need a verification of having completed your program at ACE. Please fill out the Request for Verification Form. Students with holds on their accounts will not receive a verification.

How can I update my contact information?

To view and update your record for accuracy, log into the MyACE Student Portal. Under personal information, you will be able to update your address, phone number and email address. If you need to request a name change, you will have to submit a Change of Student Information Form, and mail it to us along with notarized supporting documentation. The Change of Student Information form is also located under Student Request Forms. Additional Information can be found on the form. 

How do I know if I’ve completed all of my requirements?

The Degree Map feature located under the My Academics menu in MyACE Student Portal will help you evaluate how many more courses you must complete before you have met the requirements for your degree. Every degree program also requires completion of a Capstone experience (created in the Portfolio). You will receive a congratulatory email from the Registrar's Office once your degree has been conferred.

What if I have a question that is not answered here?

Please contact Student Support at or 1-800-280-0307.

Coursework FAQ

Should I complete my coursework in a special sequence?

Yes. Consult your syllabus for specific information or contact your professor with any questions you may have relating to due dates, etc. Contact Student Services at or 1-800-280-0307 for a schedule of courses and for the start date for your program.

What do I do if I cannot access my course? Will I be allowed an extension on my work if I cannot access a course?

You will need to alert Technical Support at as soon as you experience problems. If you do not receive a response within 24 hours, please call 1-800-280-0307. You will also need to notify your professor about your technical issues. Extensions are granted on an individual basis based on your specific circumstance, and your professor will be the one to determine whether an extension is warranted.

Whom do I contact if I was removed from a course because of inactivity?

Contact Student Services at 1-800-280-0307 or

Can I access my coursework from any location?

Yes – as long as you have an Internet connection and the latest version of your browser. We ensure that Canvas is compatible on the latest versions of Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox.

How do I participate in the discussion?

Please see the introductory post located in the Discussion Directions of each module's discussion.

How do I reach my professor?

At the beginning of each term, look for the welcome letter or announcement from your professor in the Instructor's Studio or on the link on each course's homepage. If you cannot locate this, please contact so we can ensure that you are able to connect with your professor.

What is the Turnitin® plagiarism software and how does it work?

Professors are required to use Turnitin® software. Coursework submissions are uploaded automatically within the Canvas LMS.

My syllabus indicates different due dates than those appearing on my screen. Which are valid?

Your professor can answer any questions you have about due dates.

What is the Capstone?

The capstone experience provides an opportunity for students to demonstrate and document the impact of the knowledge and competencies gained throughout and as a result of the program. In the capstone experience, students select artifacts produced along with or as a result of course application assignments, or artifacts produced as a result of the internship experience (if applicable). These artifacts serve as the centerpiece of a culminating project that demonstrates competency. Details and requirements related to the capstone experience may be found in the Internship and Capstone Handbook within the student’s online portfolio. More information about all requirements for your degree can be found in the Catalog and Student Handbook.

Where can I find the reading list?

Reading lists for individual courses are located in your course syllabus document. In addition to course requirements, Educational Leadership students have a required reading list for their Capstone course. The Educational Leadership Capstone reading list can be found by consulting the Educational Leadership handbook. The readings are also located in the Resources (Bibliography and Webliography) located on the Modules page within the tree.

I am having trouble posting. I can't always access the posting window or even access the readings all the time. What do I do? Who should I call?

First, try logging in using a different browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome). If that does not work, you can contact Technical Support at 1-800-280-0307 or

Where is the portfolio link/tab? Why can't I find it myself?

You will be contacted during your second course with portfolio enrollment instructions. You will self-enroll in the web-based portfolio and will find all instructions and training materials there.

How should citations be formatted?

ACE requires papers, including citations and references, to be formatted according to APA 6th edition. However, some professors may require a few specific conditions to APA formatting to assist in their grading procedures. Please consult your syllabus and course materials for all course specific professor expectations.

Who do I contact if I cannot access my course?

Please contact us right away at, or call us at 1-800-280-0307 if you have not had a response within 24 hours.

How do I choose a mentor?

Information regarding the mentor selection process for the Educational Leadership program can be found in the Educational Leadership handbook.

Students in the Master of Arts in Teaching and Transition to Teaching programs do not self-select a mentor. The selection of a mentor teacher for student teaching is done in collaboration with the ACE student teacher supervisor, with the supervisor’s approval.

When are we supposed to begin work on the Capstone project?

You will receive access to your Capstone platform during the second course of a master’s degree program. Your New Student Orientation will explain the process in detail. Students-at-large are not required to complete a Capstone or portfolio.

How many hours a week of study are required?

There is no minimum or maximum requirement, but most students report that they spend 25-28 hours per week.

Is every course set up the same way?

Our courses have a consistent design, with a familiar look and feel throughout the degree program. Most courses include presentations, readings, assessments and discussions. Due dates are also consistent. Differences reflect faculty style, course goals, and responses to student feedback and performance.

How will I know what to do and when to do it?

Your syllabus will detail all assignment due dates. At the beginning of the week, be sure to look at the requirements for that week and build a study and homework schedule.

When do I take exams for my master's level program?

Most courses have a quiz per module with a final exam on the fifth and final module. The exam will be available online between 12:01 am Eastern Friday through 11:59 pm Eastern on Sunday. Once you begin the exam, you have a three-hour window in which to complete it.

Can I request a withdrawal from a program?

Students wishing to withdraw from a program should contact Student Support at or 1-800-280-0307.

What should I do if I am unable to complete a course?

Incompletes should be very rare in graduate school. If you experience an unanticipated event (e.g., a medical emergency), you may request an incomplete from your professor. Granting of incompletes is at the discretion of the professor and will be formalized between you and your professor in writing.

Can I access my new American College of Education coursework from any location?

Yes, if you have an Internet connection and the latest version of Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Technology FAQ

What are the basic computer specifications required for my course? Which browsers does the learning management system support?

Visit these links at the Canvas website for information:
Browsers that Canvas supports
Basic computer specifications for Canvas

Whom should I contact with technical support questions?

Contact Support Services at If you have not had a response within 24 hours, please call us at 1-800-280-0307.

What are the computer/technology skill requirements for using the Learning Management System?

Please click on this link to locate a comprehensive list of technology requirements: American College of Education Technical Support.

How do I get my American College of Education username and password?

Your username and password for starting your course will be emailed to the address you have provided to us in your application. If you need further assistance, contact or call at 1-800-280-0307.

Can I access my new American College of Education email from any location?

Yes, but you must have an Internet connection and a standard browser.

I am having trouble posting – I can’t always access the posting window, or even access the readings all the time. What do I do? Who should I call?

First, try logging in using a different browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome). If that does not work, you can contact Technical Support at If you have not had a response within 24 hours, please call us at 1-800-280-0307.

How do I re-set my password?

  1. Go to Campus Portal website, and log in

  2. Select "Student Users"

  3. Type in the name of the student and click "Search."

  4. Select the appropriate student and click "Edit."

  5. Enter a new password on the right side of the screen and click "Update" on the left side of the screen.

  6. The application will give the message "User successfully saved."

What do I do if I cannot activate my course? Will I be allowed an extension on my work if I cannot activate the course?

Alert Technical Support as soon as you experience problems at or at 1-800-280-0307. You will also need to alert your professor to your technical issues. Extensions are granted on an individual basis, depending upon your specific circumstance and at the discretion of your professor.

How do I locate my student ID #?

Your student ID is a ten-digit all numeric ID, located within your MyACE portal. Once you are logged into MyACE, go to the "My Profile" tab and select "My Information." Your student ID will be located on the right-hand side of the page.

What if I have a question that is not answered here?

Contact, or call us at 1-800-280-0307.